Author Topic: Oooh Snow!  (Read 7376 times)

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Oooh Snow!
« on: March 02, 2005, 03:20:35 PM »
Hi,

We were crying for snow with christmas, and now it has come... in march...
Even though snow's pretty, it did cause lotsa problems here in the Netherlands (don't know about the rest of europe.)
I take the bus to school everyday (about 20 KM away), and the bus was very late this morning (even later than usual ;) ) after a terrible 50 minute drive, which usually lasts 20 minutes, I got to school.

Because I was late I only had 10 minutes of chemistry, and then it was all over as the school closed. Then I friend of mine got a SMS (text-message) that all busses had stopped doing there lines...  :blink:  :blink:  :wacko:

Luckelly A friend's father brought me home, but still it was a very weird day. I sure din't expect it when I got up at 06.30 this morning...

Anyway, I don't think I'll be going to school tomorrow...  :sly: And id you want to see some nice pictures of the snow, go here:
 http://www.nu.nl/news.jsp?n=490509&c=10 (the text is in dutch but the pics aren't :) )

So, how was the snow elsewhere?

*runs out to play in the snow*
:outahere:

Offline MightyPenguin

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Oooh Snow!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 03:24:39 PM »
I hate snow.

We've been ankle deep for the last three weeks or so. It's doing my head in. The only thing worse is sand.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Oooh Snow!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 05:43:27 PM »
Haven't really had much this year. It all seemed to skirt us completely.

First time it went North of Missouri (we got about half inch) then ended up splatting New York and Boston.

Second time it went South of Missouri (we got about an inch that time) and still ended up splatting new York and Boston.

I'm SOOO glad I don't live in the North East.  :laugh:

:D  PY  :D
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Oooh Snow!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 06:52:49 PM »
Western Kentucky is a no man's land of weather.  Other than raining like 5 times a week we get no weather of any kind.  Pretty temperate.  No snow.  Rarely lightning.  Never any serious storms.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 11:12:53 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Oooh Snow!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 12:35:31 AM »
I hate snow, I want more heat and less snow. what shall I do to get it? I know, I´ll burn more coal and oil so the global warming increase (sweet) and I need alot of burping cows :D
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Oooh Snow!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 01:00:52 AM »
Or you could just move somewhere warm.  Sounds cheaper.

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Oooh Snow!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 05:53:39 AM »
Hehe I took a picture of my street...
http://www.geocities.com/djhenkx/snow.html

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Oooh Snow!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 09:12:43 AM »
I know, I´ll burn more coal and oil so the global warming increase

I shouldn't bother. Just use more electricity from hydro-electric dams

This article tells us that these hydro-electric plants are causing more global warming than the coal burning plants.

All the biomass fromthe initial flooding decays to methane which is dissolved in the water and released as the water goes through the turbines. Methane is 23 times worse than CO2 as a greenhouse gas.

:wacko:  PY  :wacko:
and those who don't

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Oooh Snow!
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 11:47:42 AM »
sweeet, then lets get more hydro-electric dams, I like it ehre, so instant of moving, I cause more warming here. its so damn sweet. to hell whit nautre, I want +15 to be the lowest temperature in the entire world, while +35 is most. but I am gonna move to use mnost likly
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Oooh Snow!
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 12:47:15 PM »
We could always just move the whole panet's orbit in a bit.  Get like 6.5 Billion model rockets all positioned on the same side of the Earth (during night of course) and let them rip!

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Oooh Snow!
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 01:18:14 PM »
Get like 6.5 Billion model rockets all positioned on the same side of the Earth (during night of course) and let them rip!

I watched a program on the science channel last week. It was about our sun getting old and expanding to destroy mercury, Venus, Earth and even Mars.

They say that in a couple of billion more years, this is what is going to happen. Earth is doomed! End of story.

I found myself wondering if by then we will have the technology to do exactly what Num is talking about here.
Why abandon Earth on spaceships when you can make an artificial sun and bugger off across the universe on a self propelled planet?

Sounds like a lot of fun to me  :sly:

and those who don't

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Oooh Snow!
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 01:26:36 PM »
We could find a way to turn the moon into a small sun, giving just enough heat and light to keep us warm during the interstellar trip.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Oooh Snow!
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 01:34:39 PM »
Of course you would have to find a way to keep the thing in orbit properly. Maybe we just need to surround the whole Earth/Moon system in a localized subspace bubble with no inertial interaction with the rest of the universe.

In other words, it would only take a relatively small push to start the whole deal moving and the sea wouldn't all surge to one side of the planet when it accelerates.

and those who don't

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Oooh Snow!
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 01:50:25 PM »
That reminds me of Rendezvous with Rama.

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Oooh Snow!
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 02:01:44 PM »
why would the orbit be changed? if we but enourmous amount of sunlamps on the moon, and have antimatter reactors there which would generate the energu needed, we would get a little "sun" which doesnt use the second most pathetic nuclear energy source. on the first place on the pathetic list is fission. then we get all we need. a sun, a planet to live on, the freedom of moving throught the universe. (atleast unitel we are out of antimatter ;) kidding, the antimatter is created on the earth and transported to moon to be used) but if you ask me I think we have become a Type VII civilization by then. now ure asking ure self, "Type VII? whats that and how is that decieded?" the one who came whit this scale is the russian astronomer Nikolai Kardashev. he made a scale of how advanced a civilization is depended on the amount of energy it uses. the formula for the civ(civilization) type is (log10(E)-6)/10 where log10 is the 10 logarithm and E is the amount of energy a civilization uses. a type VII is thought to be able to create universes on will and use them as a energy source. they can travel trought the entire unverse, do what ever they want. it would be so damn sweet to live at that state :D