Author Topic: Sysvars2.21.txt HELP  (Read 4961 times)

Offline baphomet

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Sysvars2.21.txt HELP
« on: May 28, 2006, 12:51:04 AM »
Hello.

Brand-spanky new to DarwinBots, just downloaded it earlier today. First installed 2.1, then 2.37.6. I'm hoping for some help with an issue I'm having.

Whenever I click on 'File' -> 'New Simulation' I get the message "Cannot locate the variables file (sysvars2.21.txt)". There's links in the wiki to download this file, and some links in this forum, too, but whenever I click on any of them I get the following message:

"Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:
Sorry, some required files are missing, if you intended to view a topic, it's possible that it's been moved or deleted. Please go back and try again."

So, is there any way to actually download this file?

Note: I CAN actually get somewhere with the link in the wiki to the text at http://www.darwinbots.com/WikiManual/index...alk:Sysvars2.21, but I'm unsure what to do with it. Copy it and paste it somewhere? Does it matter what I call the file I paste it into?

Sorry if this question is ridiculous. Any help appreciated.

Offline baphomet

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Sysvars2.21.txt HELP
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 01:02:27 AM »
PS - I seem to get the same issue when trying to download Ymir as suggested in the "Your Very First Simulation" section of the wiki as well.

Again, any suggestions gratefully welcomed.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Sysvars2.21.txt HELP
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 01:51:46 AM »
We've moved forums semi-recently, and lost all the old uploads from the older forums.  That's the problem you're experiencing.

The sysvars file can just be copied and pasted from the wiki.  Place it in the same directory as your exe, named sysvars2.21.txt  Most Darwinbots related files are in plain text.

You can find Ymir in the beastiary here even if the file to download isn't there (the post containst the text).  Again, just copy and past into a file named Ymir.txt in your Robots directory.

Welcome to Darwinbots   Feel free to ask anything that doesn't make sense.  I'm trying somewhat to smooth out the beginner's experience since I figure for every person who gets stuck and actually asks for help there's probably 10 more that get stuck and give up.

Offline baphomet

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Sysvars2.21.txt HELP
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 02:17:19 AM »
Wow - thanks very much for the quick response!

I actually downloaded version 2.42.5 which contains sysvars2.21.txt. I had some trouble getting 2.42.5 to work, so I just downloaded 2.37.6 again and since I now have sysvars2.21.txt from version 2.42.5, version 2.37.6 works fine.

Whew.

I'm having trouble getting the copy-and-pasting for the text files to work (maybe I have to paste them into something else first before I can paste them into a file?), but I think that's not DarwinBots-related and is just me being pretty ignorant in general and the fact that it's after midnight here and I'm tired.

Thanks again for the fast response. I hope to have lots of fun with this thing once I get comfortable with it...

Offline baphomet

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Sysvars2.21.txt HELP
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 02:25:47 AM »
AH! I paste the texts into NotePad!

I'm slow, but I get there eventually...

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Sysvars2.21.txt HELP
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 10:15:52 AM »
I should have been more explicit

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Sysvars2.21.txt HELP
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 12:21:29 PM »
Welcome Baphomet.  

I'd be interested in knowing what problem you expereinced getting 2.42.5 to run.  I'd like to improve the first time expereice for that version as well.    It's easy for those of us who already have it installed to forget what issues can occur with a first time install, so your expereince really is valuable.  Thanks!
Many beers....

Offline baphomet

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Sysvars2.21.txt HELP
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 08:31:54 PM »
Hard to believe that my incredible ignorance would be helpful.  

When starting version 2.42.5 the following error message comes up:

"The default settings file is incomptable (sp) with this version. You can save your settings to default.set to create a new one. Settings not loaded."

If I click "OK", then everything looks normal, though. Going to 'File' -> 'New Simulation' brings up a new error:

"Error. Division by zero. Saving sim in saves directory as error.sim"

And then the program closes.

I'm kind of interested in sexual reproduction with the bots, which I understand is not available in the newer version of DarwinBots but is available in the older version, so I'm not upset about not being able to use the newer version yet... but if there's a fix or a specific instruction to follow to avoid the errors, I'm sure it would be good to know - for me for the future, and for anyone else who might be as unsure about these things as myself.

Thank you both again for your speedy replies. It's a good introduction to the forum and to the community to have asked such simple questions and been treated so politely.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Sysvars2.21.txt HELP
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 09:19:22 PM »
After it "fixes" your simulation settings, check for a text field that sets how often the graphs are updated.  I believe it's on the second tab of the options menu, but I'm not sure.

It will be set to 0.  It needs to be set to something not 0, like 200.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Sysvars2.21.txt HELP
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 09:26:05 PM »
Damn.  I thought I fixed the issues with defaluting values in 2.42.5.  I'll do another walk through on clean install scenerios for the next drop.  Damn.
Many beers....

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Sysvars2.21.txt HELP
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 09:02:41 AM »
Hard to believe that my incredible ignorance would be helpful.  

You wouldn't believe how useful your "incredible ignorance" is to us  
For those of us who use DB regularly, the issues that you raise are completely under the radar. We simply don't think of them as the workarounds are second nature to us. It takes a fresh outlook to see them sometimes.

I'm kind of interested in sexual reproduction with the bots, which I understand is not available in the newer version of DarwinBots but is available in the older version, so I'm not upset about not being able to use the newer version yet.
That isn't strictly correct.
The sysvar .sexrepro does work (to some degree) in 2.37.6 but even so it isn't very satisfactory. It has never worked the way we would all like it to so please don't be too disappointed if your experiments don't work out.
The reason that sexual reproduction is not yet included in newer versions is because, quite frankly we can't all seem to agree on the best way to implement it. There are many possible ways but none of them seem truly realistic.
Please feel free to tell us the way you would like it to work.

Anyway, welcom to DB. We all hope you enjoy the program and please don't hesitate to point out any problems and ask for help whenever you need it, no matter how silly you think it might be.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D