Author Topic: Faster than light  (Read 26311 times)

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Faster than light
« on: March 02, 2005, 01:22:59 PM »
We are all familar whit the fact we humans have sent up satellits into orbit around our beloved planter, the mother of all life here, earth. And we humans have sent probes to the outer parts of our soler system. But will it ever be possible for us to travel att FTL (faster than light) speeds? there is a way to fake such enourmus speeds. In Special relativity it says time it self is slowed down when we come close to C (the speed of light, which is 299792458m/s). Like when we are at .99C (99% of the speed of light) the time is slowed down so that 1 second on the ship is 7 seconds on earth. on earth we see that the ship in question is still moving whit sub-light speed. But for those on the ship, which have a slowed down time, it seems to move FTL. But sadly for those on the ship, if they are traveling very close to C and is going to a start that is very far away they will never be able to meet anyone on earth they knewed, becouse they are all dead when the travelers has returned. But many who have seen star trek know the warp drive which bend the spacetime continium around the ship. it bend it so the distance infront of the ship becomes  smaller while it makes the distance larger behinde it. we also have the hyperdrive which would enter higher dimensions to make the distances much shorter.
which 1 is most possible of these? or do you know another way? what is that way if so?
My Thought:
if you ppl ask me I think that the [you]Warp Drive[/you] is most possible. I base this on that einstein predicted that spacetme it bent when there is energy/mass present. so that tells some for the warp drive. and ive read that we might not need the "negative energy" that was proposed from the begining. what do you think guys`?
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline MightyPenguin

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Faster than light
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 03:06:24 PM »
Wormhole. Read the Algerbraist.

EDIT: And warp drive would take the energy of an exploding star every second.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 03:07:09 PM by MightyPenguin »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Faster than light
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 06:55:58 PM »
I think we'll find a way to cheat and move faster than light someday, but it probably won't be the way we think.  But still, if it is invented, it'll be called warp or hyper drive because that's what science fiction tradition dictates.

Robots were invented in science fiction (in this case a polish play) long before they were in real life.  Science Fiction is pretty perceptive most of the time.

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Faster than light
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 12:32:37 AM »
MightyPenguin, wouldnt creating wormholes take more energy than a warp drive?
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Faster than light
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 09:06:06 AM »
The present theory is that to open a wormhole the size of a penny would take the equivalent of converting the mass of Jupiter to pure energy.

I read that quite recently in "New Scientist" magazine

Scientists beleive that they know exactly how to do it but just don't have enough power.

:rolleyes:  PY  :rolleyes:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Faster than light
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 10:50:32 AM »
iver ead alot about things like that, scientist know how to get like a time machine but they dont have the energy for it. very itneresting whit time travlers, sadly you cant change the past even if you get there  :angry: I wish it was possible, I had a test today and I just couldnt get the last part of it right, when I got outside I figured it out :banghead: , 30seconds later, im so angry on my self  :burnup: , I hope I learn somethign from this experience  :lecture:  :lecture:

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Faster than light
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 11:00:13 AM »
You won't.

It will happen time and again. It does to all of us I think.

Before and after a test you know the subject matter perfectly but actually during the test your brain turns to mush.

:lol:  PY  :lol:
and those who don't

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Faster than light
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 12:04:53 PM »
damn you nature who made us humans this :angry: why, why, WHY, DAMN IT TELL ME WHY WE HUMANS CANT BE PERFECT. thats why its better to be machine/cyborg, they are more perfect :evil:  :evil:

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Faster than light
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 12:44:22 PM »
I read in youth that to make a time machine would take a long cylinder made of lots of neutron stars.  Of course, this sends you back to a parallel universe's past, which doesn't really help you change the past.  At best you can observe.

Offline MightyPenguin

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Faster than light
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 02:51:13 PM »
The thing with the energy needed to create a wormhole is that you only need to pay it once. For a warp drive you need to pay that cost every second. That sort of expenditure adds up fast.

All you need to do to keep a wormhoel open is lace it with exotic matter.

Yes, PY, I did say "all" ¬_¬.

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Faster than light
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 03:06:30 PM »
yes you would need exotic matter for a wormhole, but scientists doesnt know if that exist, and to create a wormhole you need a white hole (made of exotic matter). we make a blackhole here whit normal matter which worx like a convex lens, and a whitehole at the end of the worm hole to like a spreading lens. if you have a worm hole based on black-black you get a wormhole were you get stuck in the middle, both holes is trying to eject you from the other side, but whit a black-white wormhole you have 1 which tries to eject you from the other and 1 to eject from it self, you got a end :D sadly you can go throught that hole tog et back, you need a new hole for that. and keeping a wormhole alive costs, both black/white holes is ejecting matter in form of hawking radiation. so it will die out after some time (most likly after we have decied not to use it anymore) but we also need negativ energy to keep it open, so ure still paying a constant energy price. the negative energy cost 2

Offline MightyPenguin

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Faster than light
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 03:51:19 PM »
Yes you would need exotic matter for a wormhole, but scientists don't know if that exists, and to create a wormhole you need a white hole (made of exotic matter). We make a black hole here with normal matter which works like a convex lens, and a white hole at the other end of the wormhole [to like] a spreading lens. If you have a wormhole with two black holes you get a wormhole where you get stuck in the middle, as both holes are trying to eject you from the other side, but with a black-white wormhole you have one which tries to eject you from the other and one that tries to eject you from itself. Sadly you cannot go through that hole to get back, you need a new hole for that. And keeping a wormhole alive costs, both black/white holes is ejecting matter in form of hawking radiation. So it will die after some time (most likely after we have decided not to use it anymore) but we also need negative energy to keep it open, so you're still paying a constant energy price. [the negative energy cost 2]

The bits in square brackets are the bits I didn't get.

The half-life of a black-hole is long enough to negate that type of 'hole death within any reasonable time framework. And the exotic matter is the antigravity type, foo' - it keeps the wormhole open by pushing away from itself.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Faster than light
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 04:12:06 PM »
Hmmm , well I am a beleaver in dreams , I think its a way of comunication , just like radio waves. I got this funny dream once that the closest Inhabited planet (with smart beings) is 35 light years away. (I might off read it from a news paper, anyway thats not the main point)

If we get atleast 1 ufo an hour arround the world somewear, Don't you think thouse ET's even from the closest Inhabited planet [you]Don't [/you] wait 35 years  at light speed just to reach earth , witch (by the same reasoning) is inhabited by very simple life.

The point is there is deffinetly a way to travel faster then light , and ^ here is my prove.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Faster than light
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 04:26:56 PM »
Here is an interesting question to think about.

First of all, light speed is supposed to be a universal constant. Yet relativity says that all velocity can only be measured relative to something else.

So what the heck is light speed relative to?

Another thing.

If spaceship A travels at 90% of the speed of light (which is definitely possible under Einsteins rules) and it meets another spaceship going the exact opposit direction at 90% of the speed of light then they pass each other at a relative speed of 1.8 times the speed of light.

Wouldn't you say that this proves that it is quite possible to exceed the speed of light since all velocity is relative to a point of reference.

Another example is that distant galaxies are supposed to be moving away from us at incredible speeds. Significant fractions of the speed of light. Try accelerating away from them and your combined speed will be much more than C.

There are a bunch of other unexplainable things about relativity too.

More later

:D  PY  :D
and those who don't

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Faster than light
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 04:47:20 PM »
PY, you have no clue about the relativity theory, don't you :)
Sorry, but it is obvious :)
Without going into details, think about it this way: don't you think that tens of thousands of scientists would not think about the example of two ships going towards each other with speeds over 1/2 of light speed?  :)  

I would recommend reading some very basic book about theory of relativity (just pick one in a library) - the basics are very elegant and easy to understand.  And most books do consider these fun cases that seem to "disprove" the theory :)
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam