Author Topic: Hello  (Read 3750 times)

Offline Evitan

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Hello
« on: May 09, 2006, 03:38:04 AM »
Hi,

I started with DarwinBots a few days ago. The program is interesting and fun to watch.
I'm 38, from Belgium. Studied some programming in Delphi years ago (nightschool)
I'm very interested in AI and nanotechnologie.

For now, I'm running a new sim using basic settings exept mutation rate at 32x and veggie energie at 100
200 Bots : a txt file with 11 zero's
200 Veggies : the same
2.200.000 cycles now - not much happening - One bot died...
Speed 39 cycles/sec
Curious to see what will happen...I'll keep it running at night till al die or I get a live one.

Cya,

Evitan Morrelbi

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Hello
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 04:35:50 AM »
Yeah, this kind of sim is the most interesting to run. One needs some patience though. I think it's hardest to get some good working bots. If autotroph isn't checked they need to develop the ability to swim around, discover food and feed from it. I whould run it with no costs until they have developed those abilities. Also turning down the mutation rate later is important or good mutations will dissapear as fast as they appear, before you have a chance to save it.  

Belgium by the way... That's where that cool new beat style of music came from in the late 80's. Hehe.  
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Hello
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 06:20:17 AM »
Gegroet southern neighbour!

Welcome!
cond
*.DBbugs 0 =
start
.rejoice inc
stop

Offline Evitan

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Hello
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 02:14:10 PM »
Thanks for the info, ill turn the rate down and see what happens. Much like winning the lottery I imagine...But then again, maybe that's the way life started.
I've got a bet going on, bet a Jehova wittness I could get a living, reproducing bot. If I lose I"ll have to read the bible..If I win He's got to go drinking with me one night....I don't think he'll survive...
It's all the same for me, I'm not an atheist, catholic, bhoedist, islamic....
I never understood the difference between science and religion
There is only one thruth (or we're living in a Multiverse in witch each one of us has his own thruth)  
Whathever it is.....
But the search for knowledge goes on, we're trying to understand what's happening..

And if I'm not mistaken...That's the reason why DB exists in the first place
Now at 4 million cycles..I'll let you know when I've won the lottery (living bot)

Cya,

Evitan Morrelbi

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Hello
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 02:53:12 PM »
There is some room for arguing that bots aren't "living".  Personally I see them as alive, insofar that they reproduce, consume resources, solve complex problems, and die.

Ex nihilo sims are somewhat a new invention, (only becoming possible in 2.4), so no one's really quite sure how long something like this could take.  I see a minimum of 100 million cycles to see something capable of feeding and reproducing with any semblance of intelligence, but that's of course just a guess.

Keep us posted

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Hello
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 03:11:03 PM »
Quote from: Evitan
If I lose I"ll have to read the bible..If I win He's got to go drinking with me one night....I don't think he'll survive...

I think you're going to win the bet eventually, unless you have agreed on a time limit where you must succeed. I think Nums may be right when it comes to develop an ex nihilo bot, but for the veggies it is much easier. I've succeeded with my veggies allready after about 200000 cycles. They have become surprisingly hardy. I have a lot of various costs to put pressure on them but they stay around 600 veggies on screen even without recieving any energy for 10000 cycles, and they even reproduce! I have just put some ageing costs on the sim too. I'll see how they manage to survive that.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 03:12:01 PM by Testlund »

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Hello
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 09:52:24 PM »
I think you're going to win the bet eventually, unless you have agreed on a time limit where you must succeed. I think Nums may be right when it comes to develop an ex nihilo bot, but for the veggies it is much easier. I've succeeded with my veggies allready after about 200000 cycles. They have become surprisingly hardy. I have a lot of various costs to put pressure on them but they stay around 600 veggies on screen even without recieving any energy for 10000 cycles, and they even reproduce! I have just put some ageing costs on the sim too. I'll see how they manage to survive that.

Edit: I mean it took over 2000000 cycles to evolve these veggies. I forgot a 0.