Author Topic: Corrupted saves again!  (Read 4478 times)

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Corrupted saves again!
« on: May 06, 2006, 09:48:45 AM »
Saves still get corrupted sometimes. I'm running 2.42.3a but I don't think this has been fixed in 2.42.3b. I have uploaded my save here if you want to check it out.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Corrupted saves again!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 05:54:09 PM »
This is the exact same issue related to saving a bot with lots of mutations details.  As I describe here, it is fixed in 2.42.4 which is not out yet.  You can load and save the sim with the exe I posted in this forum or you can wait until 2.42.4 is released.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 06:49:57 PM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Corrupted saves again!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 09:12:35 AM »
I had a really great sim going here in version 2.42.3c. Then I saved it and now I can't load it. When I try to load it the program just freezes. I have to quit it with Ctrl-Alt-Delete. I whould really like to have this sim back somehow, if you could maybe fix it. It is a fascinating sim with a stable population of veggies.   The same happens with my autosaves too. If it whould be possible for you to fix it so it loads just this once, then I will put it away and wait until 2.42.4 comes out. No point in running sims with these versions any longer.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 09:13:55 AM by Testlund »

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Corrupted saves again!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 09:23:42 AM »
Actually... Don't bother. I found an autosave that hadn't been corrupted, though several hours of sim has been lost. I just thought I should mension that saves gets corrupted in 2.42.3c too, but maybe that has been completely fixed in 2.42.4. I think I will put this on ice until the new version comes out.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Corrupted saves again!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 01:12:47 PM »
There is some really funky timing problem going on here.  The file itself does not appear to have any problems (other than the same old mutations details overflow).  I can load your sim just fine when I step through the load in VB or when I put a delay in the Load Robot loop.  But when I try to load it in an exe, it hangs for a long time then gives an overflow which I cannot reproduce when running in VB, but it happens every time when running in the exe.  Something somewhere in the code is timing dependent (perhaps the VB runtime I/O routines) and the overhead of running within VB is masking the problem or there is some functionality difference in VB between the compiled code it generates and the VB interpreter.  Either way, this makes the crash/hang making it really hard to debug.

I'll keep after this.  A few things:

1) I will try to drop 2.42.4 later today.  One thing to be aware of is that a sim saved with a pre 2.42.4 version may still have some small isuses when loaded in 2.42.4 because of the way I deal with the pre 2.42.4 mutation details overflow.  In short, for robots saved pre 2.42.4 that have greater than 2^15 bytes worth of mutatuions details, the robot properties in the sim file that come after the mutations details will be defaulted as follows:

.Mutables.Mutations = False
      For t = 0 To 20
        .Mutables.Mean(t) = 0
        .Mutables.StdDev(t) = 0
      Next t
      .Mutables.CopyErrorWhatToChange = 1
      .Mutables.PointWhatToChange = 1
      .View = True
      .NewMove = False

So, to the extent these per-bot settings impact the simulation, non-intuitive behavior can occur.  That said though, old sims should always load in 2.42.4 so there is something strange going on with your saved sim file.

2) I have added a new 'Save Simulation Without Mutations' menu option which will save sim files without all the mutation details strings, which for long running evo sims are by far the largest portion of the sim file.  This should allow for saving such sims in a more compact format for uploading, etc.  (The sim you posted is 38Mb with mutation detials and 8Mb without).
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Corrupted saves again!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 02:48:12 PM »
Ok, it's a little difficult for me to understand all what you're saying here. I have a sim here that is not corrupted. Maybe this one can be loaded into your new version too. I really hope it will, because this is really a fascinating sim. Imagine that I had several hundred veggies on screen, then I increased the costs, and I put costs into DNA upkeep and body upkeep. I have day/night cycles set to 10000. Most of my veggies turned to corpses suddenly, but about 50 or so veggies managed to stay alive. Then they slowly started to multiply and became a couple of hundreds. Very stable. They even seem to stand 10000 cycles of night, then they start gaining energy again when the sun goes up. I will upload the sim here. Maybe you guys want to check it out. This one loads in 2.42.3c. It hangs for a few seconds first before loading. Hmm.... I played around with loading default settings and then load a saved sim.... Don't know how to explain it. Tried with loading the settings I use for this sim also, and I got some strange happenings. A few times the sim loaded, then a couple of seconds later a new sim started from the beginning! But I THINK this save should work now. Give it a try!  

I found out I have to FIRST start a new sim with the settings file I'm using, THEN I can load this saved sim, so here is my settings file I'm using.

Offline Evitan

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Corrupted saves again!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 10:11:49 AM »
My sim is at 6 million now, but I've lost several hundreds of thousands cycles to bad saves.
found out that the option - save robots dna - does that every time
As long as I'm running the sim and don't save robots dna its ok
if I save a robots dna, all saved sims afther that are currupted.
Hope this info is of any use....

cya,

Morrelbi
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 10:14:28 AM by Evitan »

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Corrupted saves again!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 12:07:32 PM »
How about using the "Snapshot" function?

Does that corrupt subsequent saves also?
If not then you can take the DNA directly out of any bot currently alive in your sim after taking a "snapshot" of the whole lot of them.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Welwordion

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Corrupted saves again!
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 12:46:46 PM »
Just an idea but maybe when you save over the bot you started with the mutations do not fit the bots anymore when you restart the sim?

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Corrupted saves again!
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 01:56:37 PM »
Quote from: Evitan
My sim is at 6 million now, but I've lost several hundreds of thousands cycles to bad saves.
found out that the option - save robots dna - does that every time
As long as I'm running the sim and don't save robots dna its ok
if I save a robots dna, all saved sims afther that are currupted.
Hope this info is of any use....

cya,

Morrelbi

Are you not using 2.42.4? This problem has been fixed in this version. It works fine for me to save and load sims now, though I haven't tried to save a bot. I copy the DNA and create a new textfile instead.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Corrupted saves again!
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 03:03:07 PM »
Evitan, I might just be exhausted from work, but your avatar is scaring me

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Corrupted saves again!
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 03:12:57 PM »