Author Topic: Simulating the Universe  (Read 8298 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Simulating the Universe
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 08:27:14 PM »
It is kind of odd.  There would presumably be an upper computational limit of the amount of material you're using for your computer.  As you say, any computer simulating the universe is also simulating itself, which creates a kind of paradox.

Offline abyaly

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Simulating the Universe
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2006, 06:55:34 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
It is kind of odd.  There would presumably be an upper computational limit of the amount of material you're using for your computer.  As you say, any computer simulating the universe is also simulating itself, which creates a kind of paradox.
That's why we just need to catch Laplace's demon and keep him in a basement  hooked up to a computer display.
Lancre operated on the feudal system, which was to say, everyone feuded all
the time and handed on the fight to their descendants.
        -- (Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum)

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Simulating the Universe
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2006, 09:28:10 AM »
I found something similar to the simulating the universe idea

Omniscience through counting

All knowledge in the universe can easily be displayed on your computer screen. How? I hear you cry (as well you might). It is quite simple, and requires nothing more than a computer than can count (which is what they are best at). Imagine, if you will, and 8x8 grid of pixels. This grid (or bitmap) contains 64 pixels, each of which may be 1 or 0 (on or off, black or white). The total number of combinations of on/off pixels is 2^64 (which is an extremely large number). This simple 8x8 grid can easily hold such images as all the letters of the alphabet, the digits 0-9, pictures of space invaders and PacMan, different shades of grey and so on. To display all the possible combinations simply requires the computer to treat the 8x8 grid as a 64 bit binary number (1x64 instead of 8x8). If the computer starts at zero and counts up to 2^64, displaying the binary number in the format of an 8x8 bitmap, it will show all the possible combinations of pixels that there are (including the above-mentioned letters and Pacmen).

If we expand this concept a little, it is easy to see that an entire computer screen may be treated as a single binary number. If your display is 1280 x 1024 pixels (quite a common size) then it could be treated as a single 1310720 bit binary number. It can store all the possible numbers from 0 to 2^1310720-1 (which is more than the number of particles in the universe).

If you set your computer (admittedly, it would have to be quite a fast one) counting, from 0 up to 2^1310720-1, it would display all the knowledge in the universe. Every frame from every movie, every page of every book, the DNA of every creature that has ever lived, the face of every person who has ever lived, the complete source of every computer program ever written, the entire life history of every single living organism, a picture of every square inch of every planet in the universe. Everything, ever would appear on your screen. There would be an awful lot of meaningless junk, but in amongst it will be all the knowledge in the universe.

And that's just with a single bitplane. If you treat a 24-bit display as a single binary number, you'll get the same information, but in colour!

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Simulating the Universe
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2006, 12:50:07 PM »
Hehe, now if only my computer wasn't dead.

Maybe I can just do it by hand...

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Simulating the Universe
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2006, 01:44:17 PM »
If I understand Elite correctly, that whould just be a bunch of numbers all over the screen, right? I was thinking Nums meant a program that whould paint up the whole universe where you could access every solar system there is and look at the planets and suns. Very graphical intensive!  

Hmm... Maybe I will live to buy a quantum computer someday. Otherwise the one I'm thinking of buying in september will probably be the last one.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 01:47:48 PM by Testlund »
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Simulating the Universe
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2006, 10:10:29 AM »
that whould just be a bunch of numbers all over the screen, right?
No not a bunch of numbers.
You would get a picture for each binary number. ie. Pixels would be turned on or off according to a numerical code. The point is that every possible picture would at some time be displayed on your computer screen.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D