Author Topic: C++ Source Snapshot  (Read 8160 times)

Offline Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
C++ Source Snapshot
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2006, 05:13:13 PM »
The looks have definitely improved, but so far I've been unable to run a simulation. (nothing relating to missing DLL's though)
I'll try on another computer and see if it works there.
cond
*.DBbugs 0 =
start
.rejoice inc
stop

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
C++ Source Snapshot
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2006, 05:36:34 PM »
Have you tried what Testlund needed to do?  Edit the settings file so the paths point to things correctly?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 06:29:45 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Welwordion

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
C++ Source Snapshot
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2006, 08:19:23 PM »
You wrote regarding trefs
"Functionality has been replaced with the readtie command"

What do I have to imagine this means? How does readtie work ?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
C++ Source Snapshot
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 08:31:48 PM »
readtie is covered on the wiki under the new tie paradigm.  http://www.darwinbots.com/WikiManual/index...ew_tie_paradigm

The sysvar changes are mostly to help remind me to write something more detailed when I create a release.  Unfortunately, I'm not certain it contains all changes I've made to the program.  There were a few months where I don't think I wrote anything into it (December-January).

The tie commands may or may not work at present.  I got about half way through working on ties when I decided I needed a break and moved on to other issues.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
C++ Source Snapshot
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2006, 03:33:03 AM »
You might have noticed allready that when a bot gets an offspring it spins around like it's trying to throw it away and the tie gets VERY long before it snaps. That might be one of the tie issues not finished yet.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
C++ Source Snapshot
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2006, 05:15:13 AM »
Quote from: Numsgil
Have you tried what Testlund needed to do?  Edit the settings file so the paths point to things correctly?

Aye, that works

- The first thing I noticed is the increase in speed, great job

- But it doesn't restart when everything on screen is dead, so I get like 307133 cycles/sec on an empty screen

I'll play with it a bit more. Are ties functioning yet? Ah well, I guess I'll find out

EDIT: Setting the alga_minimalis starting energy to 30 000 really messes it up  
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 05:17:06 AM by Henk »
cond
*.DBbugs 0 =
start
.rejoice inc
stop

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
C++ Source Snapshot
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2006, 09:32:57 AM »
You might have noticed allready that when a bot gets an offspring it spins around like it's trying to throw it away and the tie gets VERY long before it snaps. That might be one of the tie issues not finished yet.

Yeah I noticed this.  It has to do with the tie acting as an unintentional sling.  It's a similar effect to how space craft use planets to sling themselves faster across the solar system.  I'm going to have to rethink basic tie physics I think.  Probably replace it with rigid rod dynamcis.

EDIT: Setting the alga_minimalis starting energy to 30 000 really messes it up blink.gif

When a bot wants to reproduce, the program won't stop it if there isn't room.  The baby will just clear a small path for itself through collision detection and response.

This wasn't intentional, it's actully an emergent property of how physics works.  I could implement collision detection for reproduction, I just never got that far, and I sort of like it how it is now.  The result is that veggies really do multiply at an epontential rate if they aren't being eaten.  Physical space is no longer a limiting factor.

In some ways I prefer it like this, except when a cancerous veggy develops.  The simulation will slow to a crawl.  I mean a real crawl.  Like 10 seconds per cycle.  I'm not sure what to do to be honest.  I'm hoping as I redesign the physics it will run faster.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 09:35:08 AM by Numsgil »

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
C++ Source Snapshot
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2006, 10:19:49 AM »
Quote from: Numsgil
Yeah I noticed this.  It has to do with the tie acting as an unintentional sling.  It's a similar effect to how space craft use planets to sling themselves faster across the solar system.

Yeah, I've seen it on TV. They just throw a lasso around the planet and spins faster and faster before they release themselves. Hehe

I'm going to kill myself with my humor.  
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.