Author Topic: The 'Born' counter  (Read 3870 times)

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
The 'Born' counter
« on: April 16, 2006, 02:33:22 PM »
The thing that shows how many have been borned into the sim will reset to 0 whenever I click change in the GUI. A little bug perhaps.  
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The 'Born' counter
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 02:52:31 PM »
It might be better to just pull all the simulations stats out of SimOpts and TmpOpts, and put them in a seperate data structure.  Leave SimOpts for settings and physics.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The 'Born' counter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 10:47:53 PM »
I'm not sure I want to work that hard...  

The stats should round trip when TmpOpts gets put back into SimOpts.  I'll take a look and see what's goign on...
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The 'Born' counter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 11:41:13 PM »
Don't worry too much about it.  I'll split the data structure in the C++ version.  Speaking of which I'm almost to the point I need C++ savvy debugers to help me fix bugs and crashes.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The 'Born' counter
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 12:33:35 AM »
Count me in.
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The 'Born' counter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 01:45:39 AM »
I'm basically finishing up the tie routines now.  Once those are done in a couple days the program's core features will be "in place".  The step after is to get the program to actually run for longer than a few thousand cycles

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
The 'Born' counter
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 04:03:00 AM »
Quote from: EricL
I'm not sure I want to work that hard...  

The stats should round trip when TmpOpts gets put back into SimOpts.  I'll take a look and see what's goign on...

AND the 'Time running' resets to 0. AND it's not accurate.  

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The 'Born' counter
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 02:14:34 PM »
Quote from: Testlund
AND the 'Time running' resets to 0. AND it's not accurate.  

I can't seem to reproduce the born counter reset problem.  This happens for you when you hit change on the options dialog, yes?

I also can't seem to reproduce the time running reset.  Yes, the time count itself is notoriously inaccurate and has to do with the way the seconds timer events are handled - way to much stuff is being done inside the event handler - including autosaves and internet organism transfers!!!! - which throws the time off.  I know how to fix this, but it's a little invovled and requires some re-acrhitecture (adding another timer that which handles periodic stuff liek transfers and saves and taking all that stuff out of the seconds event handler).

But the reset to 0 in born and time running is a different issue and shoudl not be happening.  I can't seem to make it happen on my code.  Does it happen on any sim?
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
The 'Born' counter
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 02:48:16 PM »
Looks like it doesn't happend that way all the time. I just checked and the born counter didn't change this time, but the time counter jumped back a little, 1 min or so. Personally it doesn't bother me that much. Just thought I whould mension it in case it is easily fixed.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 02:49:28 PM by Testlund »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The 'Born' counter
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 03:14:13 PM »
I did fix a cycles counter bug in this area in 2.42.2.  I'll poke around a little.  Any specifics you can give me much appreciated.  Does the period of going back in time corrospond with the period of time the options dialog is open for example?
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
The 'Born' counter
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 04:07:31 PM »
I'm not sure, but I think it resets to a whole hour. When it displayed 18h 2min 10 s and I opened the GUI and clicked changed it jumped back to 18h 0min 59s.