Author Topic: Simplest Evo Starter Bot  (Read 41367 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2006, 02:47:45 PM »
Quote from: Welwordion
heh what are yellow shots?
I started a simulation where all bots are veggies(5 nrg per kb) and point mutations are high and one started to shoot shoots which caused the target to shoot yellow shoots.

I believe yellow is poison.

Testlund, I have no idea what that new bot you posted is doing.  I'd have to sit down and really work through what the stack is doing to figure it out.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2006, 02:55:10 PM »
Ok. Let me know if you find out what it's supposed to do with those genes. The bot doesn't do anything on screen though. It only produced those 3 bots, nothing else have happend. If there might be a bug that is causing this it should be addressed I think.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2006, 03:22:43 PM »
The problem is that it's using dist and angle.

dist and angle return the distance or angle to a point on the screen from where you are now.  That means the bots' DNA is going to be highly dependant on where it is in the world.

Like possibly down to 1/120th of a bot diameter.

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2006, 03:26:27 PM »
Aaaaaaaargh, evolved DNA is so incalculably complex  

Wait until you get one that replicates, then natural selection will kick in  

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2006, 03:43:45 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
The problem is that it's using dist and angle.

dist and angle return the distance or angle to a point on the screen from where you are now.  That means the bots' DNA is going to be highly dependant on where it is in the world.

Like possibly down to 1/120th of a bot diameter.

Are you saying that the bot reproduced because it was at a certain angle and distance from something?

Offline Welwordion

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2006, 03:54:05 PM »
Its even more annoying when the sims larger than the values that can be stored ^^ .
Bye the way *Happy*  I got a reproducing bot from my simulation.
Unfortunately I made the mistake that I wanted to test him alone, but he performed better when the other bots were around ,so I tried to reload the old sim and it did not work correctly.
Well now Irun him with the original bot and a slightly modified bot.
We will see what will happen    

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2006, 04:10:02 PM »
Quote from: Testlund
Are you saying that the bot reproduced because it was at a certain angle and distance from something?

It's a distinct possibility.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2006, 01:20:26 AM »
Well now, isn't that acute...  

Testlund, I can't find the bot that exhibits the period parse bug in the sim you posted.  Since there is no reproduction (yet) *every* bot is different!  Any chance you could point me to him or by chance did you save him?
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2006, 03:47:56 AM »
Here you go, Eric. 3 bots in a bundle.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 03:49:02 AM by Testlund »

Offline Welwordion

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2006, 06:36:18 AM »
Interesting my bots sometimes seem to  use ties to propell their children away
(or are they children just moving around? hard to say, also it seems as if the parents are sometimes fixed).
Well  and it also seems some of them increase there shooting frequency when energy shoots return(although that might be my imagination)

I introduced a foreign bot and now the same effect that propels some new bots away propels some enemies away .... a little bit later-----> however now all evolved bots are dead
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 09:27:20 AM by Welwordion »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2006, 01:39:05 PM »
FYI, I have found and fixed the period parse bug.  The fix will be in 2.42.3.

The code attempts to detokinize any BP of type 'number' (type 0) preceeding a store command (type 7) into a sysvar string, either a built in sysvar or a private variable string.  If it can't, it just displays the number.  But in the case where the value of the number is 0, things go a little off track.  This DNA code will exhibit the error:

cond
start
0 store
stop
end

In such cases, the conversion to a built in sysvar string fails as expected.  The code then attempts to match the number to the values of the bot's private var strings by walking through the bots's array of private varables comparing the number to the corrosponding 'value' of each entry in the var array.  In the case where the number is 0 and the bot has no private varables, it matches ALL 50 but none have strings of course.  This leads to the output stirng containing "." but no sysvar string.  I simply added a check for the number 0 as a special case in the private varable comparison portion of SysvarDetok().

Note that the DNA detokinization routines here are horribly ineffcient, walking through all 50 private vars and all 300+ sysvars for every sysvar detokinization attempt...  This doesn't really matter much I suppose since I believe these routines only get called when the user is viewing DNA, but it's still ugly...
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2006, 02:06:56 PM »
It could possibly be sped up by a binary search since both arrays are probably sorted (or can be sorted rather easily).

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2006, 02:18:46 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
It could possibly be sped up by a binary search since both arrays are probably sorted (or can be sorted rather easily).

Yup.  If it was a core routine insde the sim execute loop, I'd be on it.  As it is, I don't think it really matters perf wise.
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2006, 02:47:05 PM »
Not really, but if you're anal retentive enough feel free to whack at it

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2006, 09:10:48 AM »
Quote from: Elite
Aaaaaaaargh, evolved DNA is so incalculably complex  

Wait until you get one that replicates, then natural selection will kick in  
OK guys. This isn't really finished yet but it might help to work out th ekinks in really complex evolved DNAs.

Just save your bot's DNA from the sim then run up the updated snapshot utility, go to the "StepThru" tag and click the big button at the top left to open the control panel. From there you can import your DNA and step through it while viewing the stack visually at each stage.

There are a bunch of the newer commands missing since this only has the early (basic) stuff. The code is VBA (macro) so it should be pretty easy to modify if anyone has the time.

Ahh CRAP!!!!!

I can't attach XLS files.  

I will try zipping it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 09:13:47 AM by PurpleYouko »
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D