Author Topic: Simplest Evo Starter Bot  (Read 40635 times)

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2006, 05:36:47 AM »
Really weird I got a self replicator started without intending on it.   While working with A_Gyver I started testing a bot with just the code:

-100 .strvenom store

and had waste build up enough that replication and mutation began. Very strange to see. Think it would work with any store value. Just had to be enough to get the oddball random effects of waste starting the process going. The abnormally high level mutations it was set for seemed to be what caused the genome to rapidly buildup, from the initial 1 to 10 genes.

I'm going to keep playing for awhile longer, see what they evolve into.

P.S.
Played a bit and found setting Bad waste level to zero seems to stop all of the random effects of waste build up.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2006, 08:47:33 AM »
You can make a Giver Veggie that'll spin around doling out food.

I played around with a somewhat more complex version of this a looooong while back.

I had active veggies that cruised around looking for bots to feed. If the target bots had a big enough energy level the veggie "gardener" bots would even send out an info shot to make them mrepro.

It was so long ago that I wasn't very good at DNA programming so it didn't work that great. It was also in V2.11
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2006, 09:19:15 AM »
Here's a sim I've been running now. Started with 300 veggies with these genes: cond, .nrg, start, stop, end. 300 bots with the following genes: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0. Planet eaters is set to 0,05. This caused all the veggies to start forming collonies when they grew bigger and eventually all ended up in one big colony in the middle, while the bots ended up in the corners. The one that the program considers the best bot is marked at the lower left corner. It has mutated the following genes:

0 0 -14 0 9 0 0 <
 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

I started the sim by giving the veggies 1 energy wich quickly got raised to 32000 by the autotroph function, and 10000 for the bots. This one bot is slowly losing energy with about 1 energy every 300-400 cycles. Wish I new what the numbers in the genes mean.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2006, 11:12:53 AM »
0 0 -14 0 9 0 0 <
0 0 0 0 0 0 0

still has a long way to go before it will do anything worth doing.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2006, 03:45:00 PM »
I think the mutation rates works a little odd. I have set point mutation to 1000 and delta mutation to 10000, still after 345000 cycles I have a few veggies that only keep getting delta mutations. Most of them doesn't get any mutations at all. I know that the gene for the veggies is small but I still expected a little more. I expected more point mutations. One veggie has only 1 point mutation and 26 delta mutations!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 03:46:57 PM by Testlund »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2006, 03:55:20 PM »
Yeah, the mutations for 2.4 could have probably been balanced a bit more.  The problem is that point mutations work on each BP each cycle, whereas delta mutations work on each bot each cycle.  They aren't quite equivelant.

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2006, 10:59:37 AM »
I'm getting some good results using this bot:

cond
start
-1 .shoot store
stop

cond
start
10 .up store
stop

cond
*.nrg 10000 >
start
33 .repro store
stop

end

And using the settings I posted in the 'frustrations of a returner' thread in the off topic forum

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2006, 11:34:34 AM »
You can shore up the DNA a bit (I'm not sure if you want to though) by rewritting it as

start
-1 .shoot store

start
10 .up store
stop

cond
*.nrg 10000 >
start
33 .repro store

If you're running in 2.4 (though your screenshot looks like you're running in 2.3X)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 11:35:20 AM by Numsgil »

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2006, 12:16:21 PM »
Aren't you cheating now? I thought this was about starting with as simple a bot as possible and let it evolve by itself?  

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2006, 12:50:13 PM »
Well there are limits to what you might consider the "simplest" bot to start with.

As far as I know no one has been able to evolve a bot from absolutely nothing.  It's theoretically possible, I've just never seen it done.

Whereas evolving an already barely survivng bot is much less difficult, because natural selection begins to come in play.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2006, 01:16:02 PM »
Oh, I see. Hehe. That whould make this all the more interesting. Maybe I'm trying something nearly impossible here. I wonder how many miljon cycles... Sigh.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2006, 01:27:53 PM »
Keep at it!  I'd really like to see the sort of Ex nilhilo bot evolves.

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2006, 01:55:16 PM »
Yeah, definitely keep at it

If you get a surviving bot it (and you) will go down in DB history. I don't think anyone has ever tried this before

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2006, 02:17:53 PM »
Here's what I'm thinking you'll eventually see:

First, one of the bots learns to feed from other bots that move past it.  This feeding also generates waste.

The waste then triggers alzheimers, and the bot eventually reproduces.  A small population like this survives for a while until one of them figures out how to reproduce without going alzheimers.

Somewhere in there, bots may or may not learn to turn or move, depending on the settings in your sim.  If bots have to move to find food, I think they're more likely to learn to move than if they're in a brownian or planet eaters sim.

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Simplest Evo Starter Bot
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2006, 02:23:27 PM »
My bot has evolved:

10 .up store
into
9 .up store

Maybe going slower is more efficient?

and
*.nrg 10000 >