Author Topic: Should Shell impact conspec venom shots?  (Read 3380 times)

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Should Shell impact conspec venom shots?
« on: April 10, 2006, 11:29:00 AM »
In the process of fixing an overflow bug which occurs when a bot fully loaded with 32000 of venom takes a high magnitude venom shot from a conspec (fixed in 2.42.2) I noticed that shell has no impact for conspec venom shots.  The code simply adds the full value of the venom shot to the bot's own venom store (although now it checks for overflow and clips at 32000 if necessary) indpendent of any shell the bot may have.

So, my question:  Should a bot's shell impact conspec venom shots?

At some point, we will need to re-work this whole area of the engine doing special things in the cases of conspecs.  We will have to so as to deal with speciation.  IMHO, at some point in the future, we will want bots who share a common ancestor to be able to us venom agaisnt each other once their genetic distance defines them as separate species.  Of course, we will need a more sophisticated notion of species identification and a mechanism for the engine to recognize and catagorize new species first.

But for now, with our current mechanisms, I am not suggesting that we open that door.  I am not suggesting we change the core behaviour that a venom shot from a conspec simply increases that conspec's venom stores.  But, should shell be taken into consideration when calculating how much venom to add?

-E
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 12:30:14 PM »
I agree the present solution is imperfect, but it seems the best of several bad solutions.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 12:45:36 PM »
I'm not harping on the present solution nor am I advocating for changing it any time soon.  But I am asking whether within the confines of the corrent solution we should factor in shell when calculating how much venom should acrue between conspecs when one fires venom at another.  Is there any reason shell should not be factored into this calculation?
Many beers....

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 12:48:22 PM »
I would say that it should
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 12:58:59 PM »
The thinking behind most of the combat system is that you wouldn't want to stop anything that can only help you or mostly help you.  There's no way to stop gaining nrg from nrg shots, etc.

I don't know how valid that is, but there you go

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 01:02:22 PM »
Yes that's a good point.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 01:15:33 PM »
Well, I'll leave it as it is then.  I don't have a strong enough opinion to argue for changing it.  I was in the code and I thought it worth while to flag it and make sure it was a consious decision.
Many beers....

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 02:43:56 AM »
Just me, but I think the dna should be the only real dictator of actions towards conspecifics. Imagine bots being able to have some active revenge against canni's that's considerably stronger than poison.