Author Topic: 2.42.1 available  (Read 3686 times)

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
2.42.1 available
« on: April 02, 2006, 11:10:48 PM »
Okay, 2.42.1 is out on the FTP site.  I beleive that all of the issues raised by Testlund and Griz in this thread are addressed (with one small execption listed below).  Hopefully, I managed not to screw anything up this time.

I did not do an exhaustive test pass on the round-trip-ability of every last setting, in particular I have not tested settings associated with areas I have not played with or are known not to work such as database logging (the former) or leagues and internet organism sharing (the latter).  However, I did test the rest of the settings fairly thoroughly.  If you find a setting that is not roundtripping through sim or settings files, please let me know after reading note #2 below.

IMPORTANT NOTE #1:  2.42.1 fixes some really bad bugs in saving and loading to/from sim and to a lesser extent, settings files.  Everything should work just peachy for newly created files, but I CANNOT GAUREENTEE THAT OLD SIM or SETTINGS FILES WILL LOAD CORRECTLY.  I didn't knowingly break anything and I did do some testing with old files and I think most files should work fine but the code was just plain broken before (though it was pretty far down the file, so most stuff is still in the same spot) so it is possible that the settings you get when you load an old file may not reflect what you think they should be.  What's more, it's possible DB could crash (right there at load time, not later, at least, not later for any reason having to do with sim files) due to the differences in positional formatting of old and new files.  In a few cases I actually added code to avoid certain problems with loading old files (like divide by zero crashes where a zero is now being read in unexpectedly now that the positional loading is "correct") but I could have missed some cases.  Anything you manage to load or set explicitly and then save should be fine from that point on and saving it again should create a correctly formatted file that should re-load just fine.

EDIT: Please read the README file.  You will need to replace your default sim and settings files with those included in the download and also delete your lastsave.set file.

IMPORTANT NOTE #2:  In some cases, settings are not round-tripped through saved sim files BY DESIGN.  This is the case for example, in the path names for recording files as well as the database name for database recording.  The intent I presume is not to overwrite potentially important previously recorded sims by accident.   I did not change any behaviour where there was code to explicitly avoid round-tripping of such settings so these settings not round tripping is not a bug.

The small exception listed above is the issue Griz mentions with the color selection dialog coming up unsummoned when bots with custom colors are selected in the species list.  I didn't really investigate this and don't know if there is a bug here or not.  If people find it annoying, I can do something about it in the next drop.

For those interested, the issue with the restart when all bots are dead checkbox was a reversed expression in the restart dialog initialization routine where TmpOpts.restart was getting assigned to RestartMode and it should have been the other way around.  This was the reason that 1) it wasn't working and 2) the setting was not being preserved.  The issue with the recoding every X minutes sim and bot settings both having the same values had to do with a problem initializing the control's text values - both values got set from the same value.

Have fun!

-Eric
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 01:20:21 PM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline Griz

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
2.42.1 available
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 07:52:10 AM »
The small exception listed above is the issue Griz mentions with the color selection dialog coming up unsummoned when bots with custom colors are selected in the species list
I don't think it's a problem ... only happens the first time I click on a species ...
not sure if it does it for anything other than the first one, usually my Veggie.
doesn't 'seem' to hurt anything.
just mentioned it to you as it was something that wasn't there before ...
in case it was part of some larger problem. perhaps it was.

I noticed a few other things yesterday with not being able to clear the
charts of 'previous' bots, ie, bots from the last sim ...
and a 'path' error when tryng to load bots, although it still did ...
but will take this new version for a shakedown cruise to see if they
persist and make note of any new 'strangeness'.

thanks again Eric ...
I do like the charts now and hope to investigate the changes you made
in them so I can figure out how customize them to collect other data.
不知
~griz~
[/color]
   "The selection of Random Numbers is too important to be left to Chance"
The Mooj  a friend to all humanity
[/color]