Author Topic: few random bugs  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Nitus

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
few random bugs
« on: March 30, 2006, 03:36:37 AM »
First, I want to say awesome work, dudes. You've brought this thing a long way in the last couple years.

I've noticed a few minor things so far.

Running a pondmode sim with veggies set to kilobody point mode, slightly higher than usual gravity, low viscosity.

1. Veggies which are checked as "blocked" periodically become unblocked and drift to the bottom. Usually big ones, though I'm not sure if that's supposed to make a difference.

2. With top/bottom wrap off, some veggies and corpses manage to pass through the bottom of the field into a limbo area beneath.

3. Since veggies can occupy the same coordinates as one another, using the "planet eaters" function with unblocked veggies will cause the veggies to form into a superattractive clump which, like a black hole, sucks in every veggie in the field once it gets dense enough. This happens even with low settings for the "planet eaters" field [0.2, for example], and a side effect is that a "black hole" of veggies stops falling through the field and becomes "stuck in place".

I think that part of the problem is that veggies are permeable - if they were able to bounce off one another it wouldn't be possible for enough of them to cooccupy the same space in order to create a "black hole".

I wonder if problem #2 might be related as well.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
few random bugs
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 08:47:59 AM »
You didn't say which version you are running.

Sounds a little like 2.4 from your description.

Veggies becoming "unblocked" could be due to the Altzheimer routine. Younger veggies can never build up enough waste to activate it as they use it for energy but older ones could feasibly trigger the routine.

Altzheimers is a routine where a random memory location is set to a random number each cycle that waste is above a certain threshold. Many bots become fixed and this is the first sign of what is happening. Maybe your fat veggies are doing the reverse.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
few random bugs
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 01:58:41 PM »
Physics in the new C++ version I'm working on have been greatly improved again, and those veggy singularities should be a thing of the past (or at least extremely uncommon).  The problem is one that all particle simulators must face, and I've done considerable academic research to try and address the problem.

Bots that are "out of bounds" are ballancing gravity forces with repulsive edge forces, usually making them end up somewhere a little lower than you'd like.  You can unlock the zoom feature to look into these "OOB" areas.  This too has been addressed in the new C++ version I'm working on.  Bots are no longer allowed to penetrate walls like that.

I hope to yet make some physics improvements in the future that will allow for near perfect modelling of our simplistic little circles. (perfect meaning that it looks just right, not necessarily that it is just right).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 02:00:08 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Griz

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
few random bugs
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 03:51:04 PM »
Bots are no longer allowed to penetrate walls like that.
ah ... good ...
as once 'outside', they seen to no longer be affected by anything 'inside'.
I've had sims end up with nothing but veggies in them ...
failing to 'restart' ...
only to find upon unlocking and zooming in ...
that there are bots outside of the sim which will never die off.
不知
~griz~
[/color]
   "The selection of Random Numbers is too important to be left to Chance"
The Mooj  a friend to all humanity
[/color]

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
few random bugs
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 04:49:15 PM »
Could we just please get rid of blocked veggie mode and fixed being epigenetic?

I get annoyed seeing it not being dna based. :(

It's simple enough to add the dna to fix a species or veggie if anyone wants to.

Offline Nitus

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
few random bugs
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 06:02:39 PM »
Youko: Sorry, it's the 2.41 exe I'm running.

numsgil: Sounds like everything is under control - I'm glad.

The only other bugs I've noticed so far is the tendancy for certain variables to become unchecked or revert to defaults on a reload, such as light filtering, fluid dynamics, and etc. But I got the impression from a different thread that these are all identified issues.