Author Topic: Tie sharing etc.  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Tie sharing etc.
« on: February 23, 2006, 12:55:42 AM »
I'm coding the tie sharing function now, and I'm having some conceptual issues to contend with.

The present commands seem unrealistically powerful.  It uses information about the bots you're tied with and your own levels of a substance.  Seems to me you should be required to gather that intel yourself.

And the unlimited amount of a substance you can transfer via a tie in a given cycle also seems a bit odd.

Here's what I propose:

Use the same mechanism for tie feeding and substance sharing.  The only benefit to a tie "hardening" is that it changes its physical properties (from stretchy to rigid) and maybe streamlines the transfer of a substance (increased bandwidth).

While we're at it, ties magically hardening all at once seems a bit odd.  Maybe ties should slowly harden, becoming increasingly rigid, up to a specific value at around 100 cycles.

I've already removed all the artificial cost benefits to multibots.  I think blurring the lines between multibots and parasites could be fun :P

Anyway, back on topic, tie sharing could follow the same rules that tie feeding does.  You can only transfer so much of a substance in any given cycle (in the future probably a function of cross sectional area of the tie) and it's possible to kill the donor or yourself if you mismanage your tie transfering.

Also, maybe you can only transfer nrg in an unhardened tie.  Transfering shell, body, etc. has to be done in a hard tie (or, if you have gradual hardening, it gradually becomes possible to transfer body and shell).  That seems a bit artificial though.  Maybe tie feeders should be allowed to feed on body, shell, slime or anything else they want.

As far as the actual commands, I'll probably see if I can streamline the sharing process into either a single sysvar or a new breed of command.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Tie sharing etc.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 09:52:04 PM »
Do agree that the share values are unrealistic. A bot can transfer well over the limits imposed by .tieloc/.tieval.

Maybe also add a sysvar for MB's that specifies trustworthiness of another bot. If your bot trusts the other, it can give it more than the untrusted limit.

Perhaps base the untrusted transfer limit on body similar to shots. Perhaps even be able to boost it with additional nrg expenditures.

On this vein couldn't we add body tie feeding by just keeping the levels equivalent to nrg tie feeding. If a bot can transfer 600 nrg it would be limited to 60 body. Since the amounts would be roughly equivalent, it shouldn't hurt the bots any worse than an nrg attack.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Tie sharing etc.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 08:49:09 AM »
Remember that sharing is only possible with hardened tied so to some degree you have already determined that you can trust the other bot not to suck all your energy out as it would have done so long ago if it wanted to.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 08:49:27 AM by PurpleYouko »
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D