Author Topic: Possession  (Read 15254 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Possession
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2005, 03:39:29 PM »
It's possible but it'd be a huge project, months and months worth of man hours I'd imagine.  The program would have to analyze your actions and not only determine what you did but why you did it.

It would be on par with the AI system in Black and White, albeit a little simpler perhaps.  To give you an idea, the AI system in Black and White was the most sophisticated AI system in existance when it came out.  It might still be.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 03:40:18 PM by Numsgil »

Offline MightyPenguin

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Possession
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2005, 03:52:32 PM »
The AI system in B&W took about thirty people the best part of  a decade to make and it was still a huge pile of dung.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Possession
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2005, 06:13:31 PM »
It was actually very complete.  The problem was that it was soooo complete.  The stupid little animal would remember how hard you slap/stroke it, not only what it was doing but when it was doing it, etc.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Possession
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2005, 07:29:19 PM »
B)  :evil: cool AI

Not too good for DB but will be nice use for Cosmic Rift.

Better: Someone can use that to make "smarter" computers if people do repeating tasks on them. We let this little program record mouse, vedio and , keyboard. Then based on vedio and DNA it will control the computer itself.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 07:50:30 PM by Botsareus »

Offline MightyPenguin

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Possession
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2005, 05:45:43 AM »
It was actually very complete.  The problem was that it was soooo complete.  The stupid little animal would remember how hard you slap/stroke it, not only what it was doing but when it was doing it, etc.
Numsgil, in all honesty, have you played the game? The context parser was shot all to hell.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Possession
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2005, 08:16:50 AM »
Yep beat it (who hasn't, right?).

The creature is a fuzzy logic machine, which means how hard you slap/stroke it will set the potentials for those actions.  Which means you can set some very complex reactions.

For instance, look here.  Were you doing all this?  Most people underestimated the game, and so when the creature began really watching what you were doing without abstraction people began to think it was bugged.

You had to teach the creature like you were training a dog.  Most people don't know hot to train a dog either.

The creature views villagers differently: adults and children, men and women, your own villagers and enemy villagers, all differently. To complete your creature's training about all types of villagers will take time. In fact, he can make many sorts of distinctions between different classes of an object. One creature I know will only poo next to a rock that he just threw over his shoulder!

The problem was that the creature was smarter than you!  To me a tree was a tree.  Rocks were either carryable or not.  To the little guy there were trees of different sizes, rocks of different distinctions.  To me the villagers were are all the same (some God I am :P).  To the creature there are so many villagers it isn't funny.

Once I figured out how the crazy little animal thought, training became easier.  Eventually I was able to train a creature to find baby trees, pick them up, bring them to the village and plant them and water them.  That's a very complex behavior that it learned from me.  The program only had a collection of actions and objects, and the creature learned not only to associate them but to associate them in orders.

It did what we're trying to do in a sense.  We just provide bot functionality, and expect the bots to figure out how to use them effectively.

Offline MightyPenguin

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Possession
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2005, 12:37:31 PM »
I'm talking about the way that if you punished it for something a bare halfsecond after it had done it it would have a clue what the context was.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Possession
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2005, 12:47:12 PM »
That's cause they wanted you to watch your creature.  IE:  they were promoting micro management.  And it wasn't right after always.  You had until your creature decided to do something else.

Offline SyndLig

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Possession
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2005, 06:00:25 PM »
I admit, I neglected my creature, the first 50 times through (I'm more into the buildings than the creature training, that's why I balked on Creatures 2 after the first week).

But hey... he always turned out good in the end!  But that could be because I was on level 5... whoops.   :cheers:

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Possession
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2005, 07:27:33 PM »
If you have a second (okay, something like 48 hours and a ton of caffeine) go back through and train your creature like it's smart enough to know exactly why you're doing something.

If you reach the point where you've potty trained it to go in the fields, you have officially figured out the AI system.

Offline ashton15

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
Possession
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 12:15:43 PM »
how about
cond
*.keytoggled *.space =
start
.shoot dec
stop

or

cond
*.keydown *.space =
start
.shoot dec
stop

this aproach would be compatiable with other genes and also values could be set in a kind of hidden memory equal across the entire simulation in the same way you would write

def space 100

cond
*.robage 0 =
start
1 .space store
stop

finally you should also have .keypress for singular actions, this would be similar to flash and sorry for bumbing a five-year old thread but it's a good idea which could initially engage a lot of new users
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 12:18:18 PM by ashton15 »

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Possession
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 01:03:54 PM »
I agree. The AI can be done differently to. Just record all the input/output and put it through a GA that tries to match the behavior.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Possession
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 04:38:30 PM »
Incidentally I was thinking of this a few weeks ago.  Something I want to play with (in the distant future) for DB3.