Author Topic: Senses  (Read 14937 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2005, 03:50:04 PM »
If we implement smell, we can add chemicals to specifically release in a place to identify us.  Most animals identify each other by smell.

A bot would have to be smart enough to detect sudden spikes in certain proteins in a env grid that tells it information, "like this one is one of me".

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2005, 04:22:12 PM »
numsgil, if I dont remember wrong I sugjested it. but then I called it fermones, which it mostly are, or isnt it? well it would look like this when you release it:
Code: [Select]
cond
start
5 .fermo store
stop
this release a phermone of type 5
and to identify it:
Code: [Select]
cond
5 .smell =
start
*.smaim store
stop
this gene checks if the phermone its smelling (.smell) is of type 5, and it is in this case, so it aim in the direction which smells most (.smaim)
this makes it look a the direction, like if it was searching for a mate ;) but let us say now that the bot in question who released the phermone is of a different type but have mutated to fool this mate ready bot. this smelling bot is programed to fool mate crazy bots to come to them and then eat them, those little devils :devil: .

then it need another way of identification. thats where´vision comes in. I think identifications like .refeye and stuff like that is wrong, since when have the life on earth been able to see how many genes each other use to do stuff? I know this is a simple program, but its evolving fast now so I think its time to talk about removing it.

whit vision and smell it can also identify the bot, its harder to mutate to simulate both conditions coz of the mating bot has the color of 500THz and the fooling bot have 499THz or a color outside of the seeing range the mating bot, the mating bot will be able to tell the difference.

now the fooling bot got truble, hes preys have sudenly out smarted him and are probebly doomed to die out.  :shoot:  :huh: , this is a case where color and smells are both good. phermones can easly be changed so it can work as a way of comunication, like it is for ants, while colors can be a way of identification whit out seeing things you cant see (refup, refdn, refeye) another good thing whit color is that it might evolve to make some colors to be a signal.

if a bot who hunts plants and there is 2 kinds, 1 is poison and the other not. the poison 1 is having a color or 900THz and the none-poison is having 800THz. the plant eating bot will evolve to tell that 900THz color=poison and then if we add another poisoness plant it will most likly evolve to have a color of 900THz coz it see that the bot who eat them leave them alone when they is having that color.

you see the advantage? if you dont look at nature, bees have the black/yellow colors which mean "poison/danger, leave me alone" most animals leave them alone coz of that. and I know a fly who have seen this and copied it, so many animals leave them alone, at distances they are "bees" for the eye.

edit: paragraph breaks from Numsgil
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 06:18:14 PM by Numsgil »
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2005, 04:28:05 PM »
Hey Zelos, you mind breaking the above into paragraphs?

My mind melts easily.

NM, did it myself.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 06:18:30 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2005, 06:25:14 PM »
We have to approach color carefully.  We definately want these to occur in whatever system we have:

1: hardy but not foolproof system for conspec identifiation
2: foolers, like the angler fish, that lure prey to them by pretending to be something they're not.
3: warning signals that tell others that you better not mess with me.
4: mimics, that pretend to be part of a species but aren't.  The 'cow birds' (that's what they're known as in vernacular) of the east mid-west US push eggs out of other species nests and lay their own.  Then the other species raises its chicks for it.

The current system doesn't have 2 or 3 really (although they can be faked).

Offline Light

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2005, 07:04:26 PM »
with 3, with have things like rebody or refpoison which act like that, but even if you send out signals like "im tough go away" the opposing bots aren't going to leave it alone, its a dog eat dog world and somehow they are going to have to engage the big tough bots in order for there species too survive.
    Its just at current there aren't many bots that actually take on board information about its target and the environment, like whether the oposing bots are shot bots or use ties, should I then build slime or shell or both and should I tell my friends about it? Is it a big fat bot, what defenses does it have, what weapons should I use? what is my best strategy should we group together or spread out, most bots just go there's a target move towards it and fire rather than actually having any higher sort of thinking, granted some bots do use some of what I have said, I just think it would be cool if it was used a lot more, to have more complex bot behaviour.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 07:06:21 PM by Light »

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2005, 09:11:35 PM »
Back when people used in and out for identification (like I Flamma), we had a few mimic bots out there. My own "Hunter" was one of the first Flamma killers that used this method.
In most other ways it sucked but it did succeed in dethroning the flaming one.

:D  PY  :D
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2005, 09:18:50 PM »
The best conspec system uses memloc.  That gives you 1 out of 1000 (okay, more like 800 with sysvars) that the enemy has to guess between for which one you're using for conspec stuff.

Also makes the definition of conspec very easy.  'You are one of me since you have the number 25456 written to memory location 256'.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2005, 10:56:02 PM »
What happens if you query their *.memval with your memloc, then pluged that number back into your memval to figure out the value stored there? (Man I can't believe I just came up with that :blink: ) Complicated to even consider but would fool an enemy bot using just memloc.

Endy ;)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2005, 11:24:48 PM »
You mean memloc instead of memval.

do:

.memloc .memloc store

wait a cycle

*.memval .number store
.number .memloc store

wait a cycle

*.memval .number store

That would do it.  But that's a three step system, and that assumes the number stored in .number is constant.

Imagine if a robot just wrote *.robage / 100 to .number.  Then another robot just checks to see if *.refage / 100 = memval for conspec recognition.  That's much harder to crack.

I think eventually we will see memloc/memval as an important part to any conspec recognition system.

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2005, 01:33:50 AM »
I still think that colors would be better, whit it the bot are able to to have a color that maybe he doesnt want some bots to see but others. the bot is then able to send a message like "come to me" to some bots, adn they´ll come. while the bot apphere to be somekinda wierd color to those who cant see that color.
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2005, 04:33:17 PM »
Yeah I figured out a simliar method to fool others(checking your memloc) by  simply randomly increasing .memloc so it appears your actively searching, but are instead forcing the enemy to expend nrg storing your fake values.

I use basically this same method for in/out, in all my bots, just in case they run up against a mimic(unlikely yes, but you never know).

Endy ;)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 04:34:02 PM by Endy »

Offline Light

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2005, 07:04:58 PM »
yeah but you dont have to have your bots use one sort of recognition, you can use lots say refeye in1 and memloc to identify each, its unlikely an enemy bot will mimic more than one location. Mimics are good against a specific species but they dont  get to the top spot on this alone because they have to tackle a variety of bots each with different ways of recognising friends, its why I dont bother too much with mimics, I think its a small area, where there are more significant ways to play with a bot to make it better, but I am very tired and maybe someone will prove me wrong