Author Topic: Senses  (Read 14944 times)

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Senses
« on: February 26, 2005, 02:24:46 AM »
we all know we have 5 senses, vision, sense of touch, sense of hearing, sense of smell and sense of taste. but in db we only have vision and sense of touch to know what happen around them. I think it would be good whit  smell and hearing. this 2 are also distance senses. each sense would have its advantage and disadvantage, like:
vision: short range, lots of info about the bot
hearing: medium range, medium info about the bot
smell: long range, little info about the bot
what do you think guys?
 B) zelos B)
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 03:29:46 AM »
I'm not sure about hearing (if a bot drops in a forest and there's no one around to hear it, does it make a sound? :P) but we could tie 'smell' to the env grid.  Bots could 'smell' what's in the particular sector they're in right now.

We could also allow custom proteins to be stored in the env grid.  Basically hormones!  Ant bots for real now!

There are some other senses animals have.  Fish have their lateral lines, which help in detecting movement around them, helping them to stay in schools.  I'm not sure how all of it'd work.

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 12:18:46 PM »
Dont forget we've also got touch in DB.
being (correct me if wrong)
feeling other bots
.hitup
.hitdn
.hitdx
.hitsx
.hit

feeling shots
.shup
.shdn
.shdx
.shsx
.shflang
.shang

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 12:25:57 PM »
I like the idea of smell. It would have to work witht he e-grid.

What I see as a possible method is for the bots to smell a 3 by 3 grid (stores in an array) with their current location in the centre. The readback would tell them which of these 9 grid locations has the highest concentration on each level and which has the lowest.

Have to think about this a bit but it seems like a very good use of the e-grid.

Hearing is not so great. It would be difficult to employ but who knows what will happen by V4.0. Could be a useful directional tool.

:D  PY  :D
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 01:03:26 PM »
henk, I said sense of touch.
the hearing would be good coz then the bot can hear if osmething is coming from the behind. a bot who is runing for a prey (the hearing bot) would make alot more sounds than some1 who is going slowly to attack it. but whit smell we cant get a really good ant
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 02:30:27 PM »
Hearing will be nice in the future

For one thing we are adding music so how about later add sound as well; We can have a little Sonar thing option , and when you drag a mause over a sertain area you hear what noise bots are making in that area.

If ever make it we can even use my soft. to make some sound effects. For one thing small sounds are easy to upload...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 02:32:29 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 03:10:04 PM »
ya, that would be fun. but we could also use the hearing to make the bots signal other bots of the same species something, like if its ready to mate or not
 :evil: zelos :evil:

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 03:21:20 PM »
Mating calls?

Cool  B)

:clap:  PY  :clap:
and those who don't

Offline MightyPenguin

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 03:39:36 PM »
Actually, we have somewhere between nine and twenty-one senses. Including proprioception, which has to be one of the coolest things I have ever read. Better even than logorrhoea.

I think the limited number of senses in darwinbots comes from the simplisticness of the enviroment. A sense is something that processes information from your surroundings, right? The more complex the enviroment, the more forms information can be transmitted in.

I'm not sure I'm happy adding arbitary senses like this. I'd rather model a deeper enviroment and give bots a way to tune into what's going on in that enviroment.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 03:39:50 PM by MightyPenguin »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005, 04:03:45 PM »
Yea this is all stuff for the far future. Right now lets get the basics of the program worked out correctly.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 04:04:15 PM by Botsareus »

Offline MightyPenguin

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2005, 04:05:27 PM »
Which bit would you call basic? What bits of the program are "core"?

:/ Difficult question.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2005, 04:20:33 PM »
:D All I am saying is what PY and NUM are working on right now is the correct thing to work on...

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2005, 04:26:26 PM »
We just need to get the mechanics of it all working and everything balanced before we add anything too radical.

For the moment the e-grid and associated metabolism stuff seems like the main priority.

I am also working on the user interface, new menu functions, user definable background piccys and the like.

:D  PY  :D
and those who don't

Offline Light

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2005, 07:30:08 PM »
if you really wanted hearing you could have something like in1 and out1 say one out and 5 ins and they give the values from the 5 bots closest to you from all directions allowing some form of limited comunication between groups of bots.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Senses
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2005, 10:58:43 PM »
The problem with sounds is that it would be computationally expensive.  Each robot would have to figure out the sounds of each other bot.  That adds up when you have 1000 robots crawling across the screen.