Poll

Is forcing bots to battle to the death in leagues immoral?

Yes, Absolutely
2 (6.5%)
No, Absolutely not
7 (22.6%)
Yes, but it's so much fun!
10 (32.3%)
Only if your DNA references .pain
12 (38.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Rioters Protest Darwinbots Blood Sports  (Read 20834 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Rioters Protest Darwinbots Blood Sports
« on: February 25, 2005, 08:20:27 PM »
[span style=\'font-size:11pt;line-height:100%\']Rioters Protest Darwinbots Blood Sports[/span]

By IMA FAYK, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - Protesters gathered outside the third annual Darwinbots convention in New York, NY to protest what they consider "unspeakable acts of cruelty."

"This ranks right up there with cock fighting, fox hunting, and other blood sports," said Robert O'Doyle, President of Women for Animal Rights.  "These are living creatures too.  Forcing these normally peaceful bots to battle to the death in leagues is immoral, uncival, and if I have my way, unlawful."

Every year on January 30th Darwinbots fans gather for DarwinCon to share company, bot techniques, and award the coveted 'Carlo' to bot makers and mutaters alike who have best contributed to the field.

Controversy was brewed late last March when the Biological Overseeing Committe accepted organisms from selected artificial life simulators as officially alive.  Darwinbots was among the list.

"What makes Darwinbots unique is its open ended nature," says Jay Lemmon, a bot maker and Darwinbots programmer.  "It was natural that people would want to see whose bots are stronger in such a system.  The leagues are the natural result."

When asked about O'Doyle's persistant threats to make bot battling illegal, Lemmon responded, "I'm not worried.  While its true most bots being made now are considered alive, the term shouldn't denote anything above the most simple of life forms.  We have no problem using antibacterial soap, or killing stray mice that wander into our homes.

"If we make bot battling illegal, we must declare soap and mice traps illegal too.  Anyway, bots don't suffer during the battle.  They don't feel pain, they just cease to exist for a while."

O'Doyle responded, "It's not the same thing.  We don't make mice battle to the death in arenas for our amusement.  It's not the death of the bots that's cruel, but the deliberate encouraging of aggressive behaviors.

"Also, I'd like to point out that bots do indeed feel pain.  All you have to do is type in ? .pain into the console to see evidence of that."

The issue may come to a head sooner than either party realizes.  Rep. McMillan R - Idaho has proposed a bill in the house to make all forms of "cyber cruelty" illegal, imposing stiff fines and possible imprisonment.  Included on the bill is expected to be a provision for "cruelty to cybernetic and artificial life forms".

The bill is expected to pass the house but the senate has traditionally been slow to pass bills broadening the rights of animals, whether artificial or actual.  The issue is rather evenly split, but not across party lines.  It's caused a great deal of friction between the President and his party.

It is not unlikely that this will become the hot button topic of the 2020 elections, surpassing the war in Syrria and the faltering economy.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 07:03:01 AM by Numsgil »

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 08:31:25 PM »
You know there is a good side to this, now we are no longer a bunch of computer geeks that waste there lifes away on some stuped simulations. Now the public to some extant recognizes us.

They should ban "Miss America" too , thats "cruelty" to ugly women. Forget about the fact that its real not inside a small box we call a personal computer.

I have a feeling someone is starting this only to make owr lifes more difficult, I mean kids have fun drinking alcohol illigaly , lets make a legal age to play video games too....
Duh there is one....

Ok so now lets put a worning next to the download that this program is rated M

I also have a feeling that "AP" just maid it up because they needed a story...

P.S.
Look on the good site once we make it rated M , we can add blood and everything...

P.S.#2 (later)
I was sleepy , had nothing to do , give me a breack here
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 11:29:14 AM by Botsareus »

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 08:38:12 PM »
:blink:  Num maid it up , this great  :blink:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 11:22:00 AM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 09:52:20 PM »
I also have a feeling that "AP" just maid it up because they needed a story...
You're half right.  Someone certainly did make it up.   :devil: :evil:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 10:00:26 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Anonomous Guest Person

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 12:53:09 AM »
Technically, DarwinBots are more like robots then life forms.
Until version four or so, that is. ^_^

Offline SyndLig

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 12:57:00 AM »
Nice.  :P

I believed it until I saw the name "IMA FAYK".

I had a good laugh even before I realized the falseness of it, and now it's outright hilarious!

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 03:05:52 AM »
Technically, DarwinBots are more like robots then life forms.
Until version four or so, that is. ^_^
Yep, that's why I gave us 15 years.   :D

You get bonus points if you catch references to the history of science fiction in it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 03:06:11 AM by Numsgil »

Offline SyndLig

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 03:43:27 AM »
I poked a hole in your story.

says a master bot maker and Darwinbots programmer, known only to fans as 'Numsgil'.

Change that around a bit (I.e. take out "a master" and put your name in it) and it can be passed off as 99.9% possibly-not-fake-but-could-also-be-but-nobody-will-ever-trace-it-to-here.  :)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 04:00:46 AM »
Done  :Robot1:

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005, 12:06:21 PM »
WOW! I got a newspaper from 10 years in the future, and this was on the frontpage!

Amsterdam - Jan 18th, 2019
A few hours ago dutch Darwinbot fanatic 'Henk B.' was arrested by dutch police with charges of cybernetic cruelties commited in the past 19 years. According to sources in dutch police, mr. B lead a cruel section of the Darwinbots underworld, called 'shortbots'.

Mariah dairy, Pro-life activist, comments: "The Darwinbots shortbot leaugue was the most cruel thing I ever saw... All those poor little Artificial Lifeforms fighting against each other... I am very glad he has been arrested."
Mr. B is the 8th person to be arrested in the notorious DarwinBot case, opened a few years ago after the 'International Cybernetic life treaty' acknowledged Artificial life as 'real life'. Other person arrested in this case were Endy E, and the infamous Darwinbots Godfather known only as 'PY'

:D  :lol:

Offline MightyPenguin

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2005, 12:08:28 PM »
[mutter] Damn Yankee-centric in-jokes... [/mutter]

*shakes fist*

One day I'll sit down and write an obscure injoke about Gordon Brown- and you WON'T UNDERSTAND- MWHA HA HA! MWHA HA HA HA! Then you'll be SORRY!

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2005, 10:31:06 PM »
Other than the politics (which were made up BTW.  No such representative from Idaho) what's yankeecentric about it?

Offline SyndLig

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2005, 12:14:39 AM »
I just realized Robert O'Doyle is the leader of the Women for Animal Rights... adn that's a guy's name.  XD

Offline MightyPenguin

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2005, 06:57:03 AM »
Other than the politics (which were made up BTW.  No such representative from Idaho) what's yankeecentric about it?
It all stems from my deep-rooted sexual repression ¬_¬.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 07:25:46 AM by MightyPenguin »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2005, 08:13:53 AM »
There actually is a male leader to a Women's for something or other.  Saw it on the Daily Show w/ John Stewart.