General > Off Topic

Rnd function

<< < (9/9)

Numsgil:
Well you want to be careful about the difference between unpredictability and random.  Random implies a certain uniformity and shape to the numbers you get back over the long haul.  I imagine if you tried to hook in to random noisy things in the computer you could generate unpredictable bits, but they might by skewed so far in one direction that they end up being useless for a RNG.

Peter:
If it's unpredictable, it's random. If a unpredictable number-generator doesn't return uniformity in the long run, it means you can predict what numbers it will more likely get.
It is rather complicated to find out if a number-generator is 'random', but you got tools for that.

Botsareus:
Your best bet is to flush in the noisy stuff into an existing RNG. But be careful, because that will usually simplify the randomization instead of improving it unless you figure out the frequency and amplitude on this things.

I wish I had more for you then that. But the .net version of the RNG .net inherited from vb6 is only single precision. And I don't know the .net's "Random Class" that well to run experiments.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version