Author Topic: Evo Anyone?  (Read 7254 times)

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Evo Anyone?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 03:40:30 AM »
Man this place has been dead lately. What the heck is going on?

I think I've figured one of the best kin recognition systems ever. The bots use in/out1 for identification with a twist, they'll posion that location if they're being shot at.

I've managed a hefty 1500+ bots without getting any surviving canni's, mutations being fully enabled. (Although not seen, I'm guessing canni's are cropping up but are quickly eliminated by the rest of the populous.)

Kind of makes me wonder if that is the key to recognition in general, that to work the recognition location has to change based on an individual's actions ie. friend or foe.

Tricky trying to program without being able to take things for granted, makes the whole thing a giant puzzle.

Most of the latest mutations involve their avoidance dna, the king bot has it disabled. Makes sense in retrospect, if your neighbor moves away from you there is no reason to do it yourself.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 03:42:39 AM by Endy »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Evo Anyone?
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 03:51:07 AM »
That's actually pretty brilliant.  Brilliant in its simplicity.

I had the idea a while back of figuring some way to identify another bot explicitly, and remembering if a bot attacked or not, but I think I like your way better ;)

The only way I could see that 'breaking' is if canni's appear so seldom that the gene isn't being selected for, and it breaks, then a canni appears.

Could potentially happen if canni'ism gets strongly selected against, though I'm not 100% certain.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Evo Anyone?
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 04:14:37 PM »
The only way I could see that 'breaking' is if canni's appear so seldom that the gene isn't being selected for, and it breaks, then a canni appears.

Could potentially happen if canni'ism gets strongly selected against, though I'm not 100% certain.

It works nearly perfectly, I'm not sure what transpired but after about 6 hours the bot population had droped from 800+ to 6. I was able to rescue the survivors, from a food locating problem. The odd thing was that the few surviving bots and veggies were still normal(evolved but still recognizing kin).

I'm wondering if perhaps there was a true canni or carni-canni that evolved. Either storing 777, their id number, continously or not storing anything could have caused the die off. It could also have been caused by the poisioning genes breaking, I'll check when I get back. Either way I'd have thought all the bots would have died or there'd be only canni's. Very odd, anyway the sim is still going so I hope to have some answers later.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 04:16:03 PM by Endy »

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Evo Anyone?
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 11:04:54 PM »
Alright I've traced the problem to the super large population sizes the bots are able to reach without going canni. They pass about 2009 and then they all stop hunting plants. After the population dies off some they'll begin hunting again.

Still not sure what is behind all of it, its neither the bots or alga dna. My own guess it simply relates to program memory. The mysterious extinction probably occured as bots nearest to food wouldn't hunt and then died. The bots farther away don't travel looking for food and so begin to slowly die off.

There may have been some canni action going on also. I've finally managed to watch this occur(one of the few bennefits of a sim crawling along at 2cy). The bot's defenses work perfectly also, causing every one of the 15 some odd surrounding bots to see the cannies as food.

I think I'll try and add a different species on the next run. Maybe the competition will keep everything more balanced.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 11:05:52 PM by Endy »

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Evo Anyone?
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2006, 03:44:13 AM »
The whole hunt stoppage bug/glitch/memory issue appears to be self limiting. The "lack" of food causes population decline allowing the bots to once again feed. I think with a bit of additional code I can make the bot move about more to hunt, stoping the main problems they've been having.

I've got a sim going currently it truly proves DB can handle 2000 bots at once. I'd post it but the thing saves zipped at some 300 Kb. Just a little bit more than the forum can handle. :rolleyes:

So I've posted the bot over at starting gate B)

Enjoy :)

EvoBot5.4 Stem A
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 03:47:17 AM by Endy »

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Evo Anyone?
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2006, 09:05:16 AM »
Try borrowing a bit of code from Hunter 2.4 or Destinatus Preliator.
Both these will start to move about if they don't see a conspec for 20 cycles or so. Many "spinner" type robots will just stay in one spot and starve.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Evo Anyone?
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2006, 01:52:48 AM »
Sounds exactly like what I was thinking. Thanks for the tip. B)