Author Topic: C++ code  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Sprotiel

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
C++ code
« on: January 02, 2006, 05:23:10 PM »
Happy new year everyone! I'm glad to see that the C++ port is under way and I'd like to help. I have a few remarks:

*Information is scattered all over the forum, and also on the wiki and the source tracker. It might be a good idea to create a C++ code subforum and the roles of the various sites should be clarified.
*There should be some kind of roadmap with a set of goals and milestones.
*Having read the code, I must say it's quite a mess - or a nice demonstration that VB isn't an objet-oriented language. We need documents outlining the code's structure and the algorithms.

Anyway, if someone (I guess that means Nums?) could tell me what needs to be done and give me SVN access, I'd be happy to do some coding.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
C++ code
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 07:08:36 PM »
IMO we could as well whipe out this forum and start with a new one for the C++ version. The C++ version is going to be like the next generation of Darwinbots, if I understand correctly. No need to mess around with the old stuff. To the trashcan with 2.4.A and 2.37!  :Robot1:
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
C++ code
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 09:30:51 PM »
I apologize for the scattering of the source code etc. everywhere.  At present it's very much a fly by the seat of my pants venture.

If you send me a username and password via Personal Message I'll set you up on the SVN.

What I could really use at the moment is someone with OpenGL experience.  I'm right at the point of tying the Engine to graphics, and there seems to be issues and I'm not sure if they're issues with the engine or graphics...

Tell me what experience you've had in different areas and I'll see if I can set you up with something.

Primarily the difference between the new C++ version and the older versions is under the hood.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 09:32:22 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Sprotiel

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
C++ code
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 09:45:39 PM »
What I could really use at the moment is someone with OpenGL experience.  I'm right at the point of tying the Engine to graphics, and there seems to be issues and I'm not sure if they're issues with the engine or graphics...
Sorry, I can't help much with OpenGL or with the GUI, though I usually manage quite well to identify the source of bugs.
My experience is in scientific programming, so I'd rather work on the core engine.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
C++ code
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 10:05:51 PM »
Have you had any experience with verlet integration by any chance?  It's not hard to learn, I'm just looking for someone to help me change certain things to verlet instead of Euler.

Offline Sprotiel

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
C++ code
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 02:10:56 PM »
I've started a design document on the wiki. Please comment and modify.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
C++ code
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 04:18:41 PM »
I was kind of thinking 2.37 might be kept around as a testing platform for new stuff. With all the de-bugging done we should at least use it until C++ DB comes out.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
C++ code
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 02:31:50 AM »
2.37 is sort of the standard until I get 2.4 (or rather the port) to have at least every feature 2.37 has.

Offline Sprotiel

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
C++ code
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 12:39:19 PM »
2.37 is sort of the standard until I get 2.4 (or rather the port) to have at least every feature 2.37 has.
The standard on which the port is built is 2.4, not 2.37. Which makes me think that we need a name for the C++ port. What about calling the future fully functional version 3.0?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
C++ code
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 06:19:03 PM »
I'm thinking 3.0 should be whichever version implements metabolism and specialization and the rest of that fun stuff.

C++ version could be 2.5