Author Topic: Problem of Priority  (Read 6427 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Problem of Priority
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2005, 10:34:13 AM »
Everything's not as cut and dry as you would make it seem.  I didn't mess with day/night cycles.  If it works in 2.37 and not in 2.4 it's probably a case of one part of the code affecting another part adversely when it shouldn't.  The code is really complicated.

I'm certain that the day/night cycles thing is a GUI bug only.  Well, I don't know what happens when you change something in options, that might reset it.  I thought we went over this already?  It takes one full cycle before you see the sun, remember?

I'm rewriting the code as I go, making the program somewhat object oriented, which serves to isolate parts of the program from effecting other parts of the program so directly, which should help with alot of bugs.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Problem of Priority
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2005, 01:12:12 PM »
I am certain it is ALLWAYS NIGHT in 2.4.A. When the moon is up, it is night. When the sun is up, it is night, because of the behavior of the veggies. I've followed the suggestions to make the veggies reproduce, but they behave like they are sleeping and waiting for the day to appear, the day that never comes. It is an atomic winter!
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Problem of Priority
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2005, 03:25:24 PM »
Have you checked if they're getting energy directly by looking at their robot info screen?

I redownloaded 2.4.A from the FTP, ran a sim with day/night cycles, and lo and behold veggies get energy during the day but not the night.

I just honestly don't understand why you're saying this is broken.  It works fine for me.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 03:25:44 PM by Numsgil »

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Problem of Priority
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2005, 09:17:43 PM »
try making a veggie that behaves different;y in day and night.

use *.daytime to detect if it is day (day returns 1 and night returns 0)

I have a veggie for pond mode that floats up to the surface in the day and descends to a depth of about 5000 at night. Can't remember if I posted it to the bestiary ever. If not then I will try to remember to do so tomorrow as I don't have it on this PC.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Problem of Priority
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2005, 02:05:32 PM »
I'm jellous that you manage to develop such advanced bots! Grrr! Anyway...I think I have found a workaround for my problem. Increasing the energy/cycle for the veggies seem to make them reproduce better. I never thought of that before, because in earlier versions it whould crash the program with lots of energy for the veggies. In 2.37.6 the veggies reproduce like hell with energy set to 10, in 2.4.A I have to set it to 100 to make them stand a chance. Later though when the bots develops to a larger population I need to increase the energy even more. I'm just wondering how much I can increase it before the program crash in this version.
So... I GUESS that if I have day/night cycles turned OFF, then it will INDEED be daytime all the time, but the MOON will show! Turning day/night cycles ON will reset to NIGHT and then the SUN will show after the set amount of cycles. I must say this program is not user friendly at all! You should put a sticky in the newbie section that warns people from using this if they are not programmers. This is very complicated. I think we've been through before that it whould be nice with a DEFAULT settings file for THIS version so one doesn't have to rip the hair from the skull in frustration trying to figure out how to run this program.  :pokey:

Anyway, at least I can finely run a simulation that works. I've been running a simulation through the whole night and day with no crash and the bots behave nicely.  :)

Pfew!
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Problem of Priority
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2005, 02:53:07 PM »
I'm jellous that you manage to develop such advanced bots!

Advanced?  :blink:

Alga Stratificus is a tiny little thing that I threw together in about a minute. it only has 3 simple little genes and does nothing but float up and down, and reproduce.

Did you check it out in the bestiary yet?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Problem of Priority
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2005, 09:25:28 PM »
If you spend a bit of time learnign the program you can manage to create some fairly sophisticated bots.